This is the highest quality food grade lye available. Also known as NaOH and caustic soda. This is an inorganic chemical at minimum 99% pure. It is a white solid and highly caustic metallic base and alkali salt. Sodium hydroxide is soluble in water, ethanol and methanol. This alkali is deliquescent and readily absorbs moisture and carbon dioxide in air. In Soap Making: Lye is mixed with water to create a lye solution. Lye solution, when mixed with fats and oils, will cause a chemical reaction called saponification (fancy for soap). The result of saponification is beautiful handmade soap. In Food Prep: Food uses of sodium hydroxide include wGreat ashing or chemical peeling of fruits and vegetables, chocolate and cocoa processing, caramel coloring production, poultry scalding, soft drink processing, and thickening ice cream. Olives are often soaked in sodium hydroxide for softening; Pretzels and German lye rolls are glazed with a sodium hydroxide solution before baking to make them crisp. Owing to the difficulty in obtaining food grade sodium hydroxide in small quantities for home use, sodium carbonate is often used in place of sodium hydroxide. In Cleaning: Industrial, or technical, grade lye is often used as a cleaner and is the active ingredient in common drain cleaners. Sodium silicate is often used as a corrosion inhibitor to prevent lye from corroding pipes while it removes the blockage. Citric acid, or other acids, are often used in coordination with lye as it creates an exothermic reaction (heat) to leave sodium acetate (a salt) and water. An alternative, but less effective alternative is sodium bicarbonate.
- Top Quality, Premium Lye
- Great for making soap, as a cleaner, or for food prep
- Food-Grade USP/FCC
Sodium Hydroxide - Pure - Food Grade (Caustic Soda, Lye) (1 pound)
Sodium Hydroxide - Pure - Food Grade (Caustic Soda, Lye) (2 pound Jar)
Sodium Hydroxide - Pure - Food Grade (Caustic Soda, Lye) (5 pound)
Sodium Hydroxide - Pure - Food Grade (Caustic Soda, Lye) (10 pound)
Does this lye have static electricity (beads fly all over when pouring)?
- This product does not have static electricity so pouring product from the bag to your container should be smooth flowing.
What country is this manufactured?
- This product is manufactured, packaged and distributed in the United States.
This says Food Grade, but can it be used to unclog drains?
- The product grade means there are no contaminants or added chemicals. Many industrial drain cleaners add chemicals to increase the reaction temperature, reduce corrosion or inhibit bacterial growth. This product does not contain any adulterants or additives. *NOTE: DO NOT use drain cleaners for food applications.*
Can this be used for making soap?
- Yes and love to hear your soap making stories and pictures! If using this product for soap and using a soap calculator, use the 100% concentration lye.
Is there a certificate of analysis?
- Please contact us for the certificate of analysis for the product you purchased. We don't try to hide our COA, but the COA may be slightly different for each batch so we want to make sure you have the correct certificate.